Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Without The Why We Just Comply



Back in 2014, under an instructional coaching blog, I wrote about the importance of understanding the Why behind any program or initiative we are engaged in. A lot of it was based on Simon Sinek's TEDTalk. if you haven't seen it, or watched it lately, click the link.

As much as I believe we need the "why" to innovate, I still see a lot in education that is about compliance. Sometimes that comes from government entities when we fill out reports, and sometimes that comes from within, in the form of "please just tell me what to do."

This is why (pun intended) I was hesitant in the last post to talk about checklists. Compliance and innovation are antithetical. Here is my wondering: does a tendency toward compliance arise because we as leaders fall short on building a consensus around the "why"? It reminds me of the stereotypical answer of a parent to the child's question of "why" -- "because I said so." I'll admit that as an exhausted parent, I dreamed of compliance! But our teachers  deserve so much more from us. They are intelligent adults who have the capacity to not only understand the why, but to embrace it, make it their own, and enrich student learning from it. After all, we all went into education because we are passionate about kids learning.

In terms of students, they also deserve a "why" to avoid compliance (memorizing for the sake of test regurgitation only). I've seen teachers do it masterfully in the unpacking of a well-crafted learning target, or using students' passions to drive teaching and learning around the standards.

But with compliance having such a long life in education, and the traditional roles of principal, teacher, and student being so deeply embedded, it is really hard for many to move beyond compliance. That is why the "why" is so desperately important.

If I could only pick one "why" around education innovation, it would probably be that we need to prepare and empower our kids to be change agents in multiple fields (see earlier post on the T Profile). The "what" and "how" must also be generated, but this is my "why" because the world is not organized into neat categories.  

Join the conversation...
What is your "why"?










No comments:

Post a Comment